Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Night of Salads


Recently we had some friends over for an evening of salads.  Every family brought a different kind of salad.  One friend brought a green bean salad that was amazing.  Another friend brought a fruit salad, which is always yummy.  My husband and I made an antipasto, but it not in the traditional sense.  I decided to make a big bowl of lettuce with artichoke hearts, chopped red bell pepper, and sliced baby portobello mushrooms.  Then I set out platters with a variety of items so each person could make his/her own antipasto.  I had bowls of black olives, garlic stuffed green olives, and kalamata olives.  I had a platter of sliced cheeses: munster, cheddar, and provolone.  I had a platter of rolled deli meats:  roast beef, honey ham, and turkey.  I had a bowl of carrots and sweet gherkins for the children.  Friends brought fresh tomatoes from a local Community Supported Agriculture (CSA), avocado, and hard boiled eggs.  Once we all assembled our salads, our plates looked like a rainbow of deliciousness.  The food was beautiful, yummy, and healthy.  

Once we finished dinner, I brought out a different kind of salad.  It was still green, but there was nothing healthy about it.  I made a Watergate Salad.  When I was a child, a family friend made this and I fell immediately in love with it.  It is pudding with cool whip, pineapple, and marshmallows.  What could be bad?  I really should be embarrassed posting a recipe like this on here, but it is too good not to share.  Here is my recipe.  I doubled the recipe, because I wanted to have enough for a large group.  This recipe typically serves 6-8 people.

Watergate Salad Recipe

1 small box pistachio pudding mix
1 4-6oz can crushed pineapple and juice
1 8oz container cool whip
1 cup miniature marshmallows

Fold cool whip into the pudding mix.  Then add the crushed pineapple and juice.  Stir in the marshmallows.  Chill for 30 minutes, and then serve.

Next time you go to a pot luck, think about bringing this.  It is so yummy and easy to make.  Enjoy!

<3 Cassidy

No comments:

Post a Comment